GPI is Hiring: Business Development Representative
18 Aug 2021
GPI in the News
Join our team! Greater Portland Inc is hiring a full-time Business Development Representative to serve as a key team member to assist in attracting traded-sector companies to the Greater Portland region.
Business Development Representative
Department: Business Development
Reports to: VP of Business Development
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $55,000 - $65,000
Physical Strength: Light (L)
The Business Development Representative serves as a key team member who assists with attracting traded sector companies to the Greater Portland region. You will support a broad spectrum of activities to promote quality job growth and enhance Greater Portland’s regional competitiveness including competitive intelligence gathering, data driven direct company outreach and prospecting, creating and gathering relevant materials to communicate to interested companies; engaging with prospective companies both domestic and foreign; traveling; developing relationships with site consultants and selectors; acting as a liaison between clients and communities; and managing inbound recruitment opportunities. The position supports Greater Portland Inc’s (GPI) work with regional partners on projects and initiatives as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Business Recruitment and Industry Expertise
- Generates new recruitment leads through coordination with internal research team and direct outreach
- Researches inbound and targeted prospects. Compiles and prepares information to build the business case for clients
- Plan, organize, and create proposals in response to company inquiries
- Helps manage the recruitment pipeline of ongoing projects with the VP of Business Development
- Utilizes and maintains databases
- Research, analyze, interpret, and presents findings to prospects, GPI investors, and key partners as needed in different communication platforms
- Understands and promotes the greater Portland’s existing industry clusters, target industries, and regional key attributes
- Familiarizes self and stays current with industry news, trends and state/local policies impacting or encouraging growth of industries in the region
- Supports business development efforts to build relationships with site-selection consultants, corporate real estate executives and company decision makers; similarly establishes connections to local commercial real estate community
- Coordinates with internal marketing, research, and strategy teams
- Travels on sales missions to key domestic markets and assists in agenda and meeting setting for VP and partner travel
- Maintains thorough knowledge of principles of economic/business development strategies, methods of financing economic development projects, and general land use planning and zoning
- Researches and analyzes the economic feasibility of local community and business development projects
Community Partner Engagement
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with city, county, and state partners. Provide support and perform assistance as needed
- Work effectively with community and state partners on business recruitment activities
- Assist with GPI stakeholder meetings and events as needed
- Understands the function and relationships between private/public sector groups in the economic community
- Maintains working knowledge of local government organizational structure, functions, and management
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 2+ years or more of professional, hands-on experience in economic development, community development, commercial real estate, site selection, marketing sales/recruitment and/or other relevant disciplines
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with a spirit of cooperation and as a relationship builder
- Manage multiple and competing priorities quickly and efficiently
- Project and time management, working within external/internal cross-functional teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated track record of results, proactive self-starting and creative problem solving
- Work effectively with various stakeholders including, business leaders, financial institutions, utilities and more
- Work effectively in time-sensitive situations to meet deadlines, coordinate multiple projects and complex tasks concurrently
Working knowledge of:
- The principles and practices of Request for Proposal/Information
- Occupational fields and labor market opportunities and trends and economic development and business attraction programs
- The principles, practices and techniques of economic research and impact
- Marketing, public information, and promotional techniques used in economic development
- The principles and practices of researching and analyzing the economic feasibility of local community and business development projects
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university. Two years or more of professional experience in economic development, community development, commercial real estate, site selection, marketing/sales recruitment and/or other relevant disciplines preferred. Experience and relationships in the Greater Portland region ideal, but not required.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business publications, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public. Has excellent verbal, written and visual communication.
Job requires specialized computer skills. Must be adept at using various applications including the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Adobe. Must be able to communicate by e-mail, web based meeting software, and use scheduling & CRM software.
Strong ability to interpret and analyze data, translating it into business strategy and economic development messaging. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid State ID is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 5 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions when travelling to meetings outside the GPI office. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
About Greater Portland Inc (GPI)
GPI provides support and services to companies seeking to relocate or expand in Greater Portland, a region that spans two states and seven counties. A true public-private partnership model, GPI is supported by more than 150 private- and public-sector partners committed to advancing regional economic development through job growth and investment. Greater Portland Inc is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To be considered, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled.